08.05.11. Coming down to Guadalajara made me feel small. Mountains everywhere and orange rooftops, I knew I wasn´t in Kansas anymore. The airport was nothing that I´d imagined. As soon as I got on the otherside, I was greeted by my new Lincoln family. Looking around, I saw a Burger King and lots of shopping strips. It almost reminded me of the Newark airport. Quite shocked and surprised I kept going, not taking the time to think that this was indeed my life now. I was also met by two of the other girls who were new this year. We all started to chatting straight away as we got to the car to make our final car trip to the Casa Grande - my new home in Las Fuentas (our neighborhood). That same night, we went for tacos. Anna, told us they were super yummy but nothing like the tacos you eat in the states. I thought tacos, without the cheese and the sour cream, etc? Small? Like tiny tortillas? USeans like to put everything on their tacos. Mexicans like them fresh with just cilantro and onions. Personally I thought it sounded gross, but oh my goodness was it delcious! I also ordered a gringa (a taco with melty cheese). YUM! I still order one with my tacos to this day :) :) We went to the market the following day. Very much how I´d pictured but nothing that I was used to. Everything was out in the open which does sound odd to the USean ear but it is what it is and it´s not necessarily always a bad thing. You just have to use your smarts! We met the cheese guy, Enrique, knowing some English he listened us introduce ourselves. He made connnections with us straight away and recommended the Sandrita queso - the same queso used for gringas and quesadillas. YUM! Now about a month later, I am able to order food by myself and know where I am going in Las Fuentes :)
08.28.11. Spanish still frustrates me a good bit. More so, just because I can´t communicate with the people here. It makes me want to learn! I can talk with my coworkers - though something always gets lost in translation! It makes me feel small most days, being here, making me realize just how much of the world is unseen to the human eye and how much more there is even for someone who has been all over. So many things are different here and yet they are the same. I apologize for this being so long and so all over the place. I actually only came back to my classroom to grab some stuff to grade and ended up sitting down and writing. That is all for now. Almost 7. I should go home, make some dinner, finish grading, and go to bed. I will try to write again soon! Love and blessings to you all.
Dulces suenos, Laura <3
Some say life is a beach. Some say life is an adventure. I say life is a dream, a fairy tale, waiting to come true. I live with heart, I live with passion. There will be adversity, but there will also be joy, and a final happy ending. And there in my smaller dreams is where God's BIGGER DREAM takes place and makes it ALL happen! Viva Mexico y Dios bendiga amigos!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
- Popular Posts -
-
Greetings! I hope that this letter finds you well. As you may have heard, I am embarking on a new adventure teaching third grade at an A...
-
Lately, I've been really been pushing the truth of the gospel with my kids. It amazes me the questions they have and how receptive they ...
-
08.05.11. Coming down to Guadalajara made me feel small. Mountains everywhere and orange rooftops, I knew I wasn´t in Kansas anymore. The ai...
-
I used to think I had to have it all figured out, but the more I think about it and the more I anticipate something to happen the complete...
No comments:
Post a Comment